Class 11 English Grammar Exercise Unit-8: Chapter Humour and Satire
Grammar: Present simple or present continuous/progressive
- Present Simple=S+v1/v5+O
- Present continuous/progressive=S+ is/am/are+v4+O
A) Put the verb into the correct form, present simple or present continuous.
- Nisha speaks…… (speak) English very well.
- Hurry up! We are waiting…… (wait) for you.
- Excuse me! Do you speak…… (you/speak) English?
- She is having…… (have) a shower in bathroom.
- How often Do you read…… (you/read) a newspaper?
- I’m sorry, I do not understand…… (not/understand). Can you speak more slowly?
- You can turn off the radio. I …am not listening… (not/listen) to it.
- I usually …get up… (get up) at 5 o’clock every morning.
- Look! The river …is flowing… (flow) very fast.
- Amrita …doesn’t seem… (not /seem) very happy at the moment.
C. Are the underlined verbs in the correct form? Correct them where necessary.
a) Water boils at 100° C.
Ans: Water boils at 100° C.
b) The water boils. Can you turn it off?
Ans: The water is boiling. Can you turn it off?
c) I must go now. It gets late.
Ans: I must go now. It is getting late.
d) This sauce’s tasting really good.
Ans: This sauce tastes really good.
e) I’m thinking this is your key.
Ans: I think this is your key.
f) Are you believing in God?
Ans: Do you believe in God?
g) I usually go to school on foot.
Ans: I usually go to school on foot.
h) Look! That man tries to open the door of her car.
Ans: Look! That man is trying to open the door of her car.
i) The moon is going round the earth.
Ans: The moon goes round the earth.
j) I’m getting hungry. Let’s go and eat.
Ans: I’m getting hungry. Let’s go and eat.
Giving advice : (Page 78)
Example: She should read hard.
Why don’t you+v1+O
Example: Why don’t you help your friend?
You ought to+v1+O
You ought to visit your friend.
You’d better find your soulmate.
If I were you, I’d+v1+O
If I were you, I’d visit doctor.
Exercise from the Book
What would you suggest to your friends in the following situations?
a) Your friend lost his/her pen.
Ans: You should buy new pen.
b) Ramila is weak in Mathematics.
Ans: She ought to take tuition.
c) Pardip has a headache.
Ans: If I were you, I’d visit a doctor.
d) Your friend is getting fat.
Ans: He should do exercise.
e) Mukesh wants to dance but he can’t.
Ans: Why don’t you join dance classes?
What would you advise to Muna in the following situations?
Example: Muna: I’m sleepy.
You : You should/ought to drink a cup of tea.
a) I’m hungry.
Ans: You: You should take breakfast.
b) I’m cold.
Ans: You: Why don’t you wear a jacket?
c) I can’t control my temper.
You: Why don’t try meditation in the morning?
d) I have hiccups.
Ans: You: You should drink cold water
e) I can’t get to sleep at night.
Ans: You: Why don’t you take sleeping tablets?