Unit-6 Health and Exercise
(Page:53) You May Scoff…
- Subject-verb agreement is the correspondence of a verb with its subject in person (first, second, or third) and number (singular or plural).
- Thus, if a subject is singular, its verb must also be singular; if a subject is plural, its verb must also be plural.
Singular: Each, either, neither, one, no one, nobody, nothing, anyone, anybody, nothing, someone, somebody, something, everyone, everybody, everything, the number of, With every, only one of those, the number of, Pair of and many a
- PLURAL:several, few, both, many, one of those, a number of
- Plural units of measurement, time and money take singular verbs.
A thousand kilometres is a long distance.
Six million dollars is what the business needs.
- Some indefinite pronouns (some, any, none, all, most) may be either singular or plural: with uncountable, use singular: with countable, use plural.
Example: with uncountable, use singular
Some of the sugar is on the ground.
Example: with countable, use plural.
Some of the stones are on the table.
- subjects joined by and are always plural
Example: Ram and Hari are friends.
- subjects joined by or/nor : the verb agrees with the subject nearer to or/nor
Complete the sentences by choosing the correct verbs from the brackets.
- Everyone …has… (has/have) problems in their life. Countries also …have… (has/have) problems, and so …does… (do/does) the world. One of the greatest problems …is… (is/are) the growing population. The population in some countries …are… ( is/are) huge.
- A number of my friends …love… (love/loves) riding bicycles, but neither my brother nor my sister …owns… (own/owns) a cycle. At 4 o’clock, either my mother or father …is… (is/are) coming to pick me up in a car.
- The pair of shoes on the floor …is… (is/are) mine. The shoes …were… (was/ were) made in China. The three thousand rupees I spent on them …was….. (was/were) worth it.
Are the following sentences correct? If not, correct them.
a) Every one of the workers receive the same benefits.
Ans: Every one of the workers receives the same benefits.
b) There is two gerbils in my bathroom.
Ans: There are two gerbils in my bathroom.
c) Both of my friends live in Kathmandu.
Ans: Both of my friends live in Kathmandu.
d) Scissors is used to have our hair cut.
Ans: Scissors is used to have our hair cut.
e) You and your friends are welcome to join us
Ans: You and your friends are welcome to join us
f) Are the news on at five or six?
Ans: Is the news on at five or six?
g) The man with all his children live in the city.
Ans: The man with all his children lives in the city.
h) Mathematics are Prem’s favourite subject, while Economics is Alina’s favourite subject.
Ans: Mathematics is Prem’s favourite subject, while Economics is Alina’s favourite subject.