Unit-11 Arts and Creation
Why Is the Renaissance Important?
Place-where, person-whom/who/whose, object-which, time-when
- he, she, we, they=who
- him, her, us, them=whom
- his, hers, ours, ‘s, theirs=whose
- subject or object= that
Complete the following sentences with correct relative pronouns and write whether the clauses are defining or non-defining.
- That’s the house …where… I was born. (Defining Relative Clause)
- My aunt Nita, …who,… a journalist, is coming to visit next week. (Non-Defining Relative Clause)
- People …who… like outdoor activities will love our holidays. (Defining Relative Clause)
- The early 1960s, …when,… the Beatles first started, was a very exciting time in pop culture. (Non-Defining Relative Clause)
- My essay on Shakespeare, which,…… I found quite difficult, got a really good mark in the end. (Non-Defining Relative Clause)
- The Mayans who…… lived in Central America, built many stunning temples. (Non-Defining Relative Clause)
- That’s the girl …whose… brother is in your class. (Defining Relative Clause)
- The snake …that… was in the garden last week belongs to our next-door neighbor. (Defining Relative Clause)
Join the following pairs of sentences with appropriate relative clause.
a) He is a musician. His albums have sold millions.
Ans: He is a musician whose albums have been sold millions.
b) Amelia speaks English and Chinese fluently. She is from Shanghai.
Ans: Amelia,who is from China, speaks English and Chinese fluently.
c) That’s the stadium. Real Madrid plays there.
Ans: That’s the stadium where Real Madrid plays.
d) Dublin is my favourite city. It is the capital of Ireland.
Ans: Dublin, which is the capital of Ireland, is my favourite city,.
e) The person was really helpful. They spoke to him.
Ans: The person, to whom they spoke, was really helpful.
f) This smartphone takes great photos. I bought it last week.
Ans: This smartphone, which I bought last week, takes great photos.