Class 11 Major English Model Question by NEB (CDC) 2078
English (Optional) Grade XI (Eng. 333)
|Contents||Types, numbers and description of questions|
|MCQs||Short answer questions||Long answer questions|
|A Historical Survey of English Language and literature||2||2||–|
|Tracing out outline, explanation, classification,comparison and short note|
|Introduction to Language and Linguistics||2||2||–|
|Definition. explanation, classification, comparison and short note.|
|Summary,narration, comparison, justification of the title or meaning. evaluation, compare and contrast, explanation with reference to the context, character sketch and discussing Particular social/cultural/political issues with reference to a text
Note: (Question should be asked from both fiction and Non-fiction Texts)
|Justification, critical appreciation, plot, character sketch, comparison and contrast, appreciation of the fictional elements and discussing particular social/cultural/political issues with reference a text
(Note: one question from the Novel/novella is a must
|Explaining with reference to the context, summarizing, giving the central idea/theme, critical appreciation, comparison, justification, and discussing particular social/cultural/political issues with a reference to a text||justification, critical appreciation, comparison, and discussing particular social/cultural/political issues with a reference to a text
|Total Number of Questions||11||8||3|
English (Optional) (Eng. 333) Model Questions for Final Examination
Full Mark: 75 Time: 3 hours
Choose and copy the best answer. (11×1=11)
- In which of the following genre did Victorian literature achieve its greatest success?
i. the essay ii. epic poetry iii. lyric poetry iv. the novel
2.The . ….. age tended to favour the taste and search for tmth in art.
i. Classical ii. Romantic iii. Victorian iv. Elizabethan
3.The smallest unit of words is called .
i.phoneme ii. allophone iii. juncture iv. morpheme
4. The word ‘communication’ has stress on syllable.
i. first ii. second iii. third iv. fourth
5. In the story The Cactus’ by O’Henry, Trysdale proposes to a woman. How does the woman respond?
i. She sends him a cactus with its name in Spanish. ii. She sees him at dinner and says yes. iii. She ignores his proposal. iv. She sees him at dinner and says no.
6.What is the narrator telling us about in the story ‘Boys and Girls’?
i. Her life in jail. ii. Her life being rich. iii. Her life in a fox farm. iv. Her life being famous.
7. According to Bacon, the chief use of study is ……….
i. ability ii.omament iii. delight iv. adornment
8. Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18 is addressed to……….
i.his wife ii. Queen Elizabeth iii. a young woman iv. a young man
9. What does the ‘black ocean’ represent in the poem ‘Still I Rise’?
i. the speaker ii. a deserted place iii. a swamp iv. Africa
10. What is not the theme of the play ‘The Boor’?
i. money ii. infidelity iii. emancipation of women iv. industrialization
11. The character Madana as depicted in the drama ‘Chitra’ is
i. the god of springtime ii. the god of love iii. a prince of the house of Kurus iv. the god of eternal youth
Write short answers to these questions. (8*5=40)
- Write a short note on the development of English language during Elizabethan period.
- Compare between the modem age and postmodern age in English literature.
- What characteristics distinguish language from animal communication?
Explain with examples.
- What are the different types of phrases in English? Explain each of them with examples.
- Write the three questions the king asked. Also, write the moral you learned from the story ‘Three Questions’. How will you apply the moral 6your real life? Explain.
- How did the Silk Road affect towns and chi. along trade routes? Give an example. (The Silk Road in the World History)
- “Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven Shines, And often is his gold complexion dimm’d,” What do. the expression the e},e of heaven refer to? What aspect of summer’s day is presented here? How does this aspect of summer help to establish the superiority of the poet’s friend? (Sonnet 18)
- Is the title ‘The Song of Death’ suitable? Justify your answer.