NEB Class 11 Major (Optional) English Question from The Final Exam 2078
DEVI SECONDARY SCHOOL
Sub Code: 3331
Class : XI Time : 3 hrs
Subject : OPT English FM : 75
[Candidates are required to give their answer in their own words as for as practicable the figure on the right side indicates full marks.]
Choose and copy the best answer. ( 11×1 =11)
- In which of the following genre did Elizabethan literature achieve its greatest success?
i. the drama ii. epic poetry iii. lyric poetry iv. the essay
- The greatest work of old English period was …………. .
i. Macbeth ii. Beowulf iii. Homilies iv. Dream of the Rood
- Something that is inconsistent, random or subjectively decided is called ……………….
i. voluntary ii. Vocal iii. arbitrary iv. communication
- /p/, /b/, /m/, /v/ are ……………… sound.
i. labio-dental ii. Dental iii. Alveolar iv. Bilabial
- In the story ‘The Cactus’ by O’Henry, Trysdale proposes to a woman. How does the woman respond?
i. She sends him a cactus with its name in Spanish.
ii. She sees him at dinner and says yes.
iii. iii. She ignores his proposal.
iv. She sees him at dinner and says no.
6. What is the theme of the story ‘The Piece of String’?
i. We shouldn’t steal anything.
ii. Shows man’s inhumanity to man .
iii. Let people think what they want.
iv.Human life is pathetic..
7. According to the essay ‘Letter from the New Land’, the new land is …………….
i. China ii. India iii. America iv. Australia
- Shakespeare’s ‘Sonnet 18 is addressed to …………………….. .
i. his wife ii. Queen Elizabeth iii. a young woman iv. a young man
- What has the poet eaten in the poem ‘This is Just to Say’?
i. plums ii. Ice-cream iii. grapes iv. oranges
10. In the play ‘The Boor’ Mrs. Popov is mourning the death of her ………
i. daughter ii. husband iii. son iv. father
- The relationship between Alwan and Sumeida in the drama ‘The Song of Death’ is …………… .
i. brothers ii. Uncle-nephew iii. cousins iv. friends
Write short answers to these questions. (8×5=40)
- What are the characteristics of modern literature?
- Write short notes on:
- John Milton ii. W. B. Yeats
- Define simple, compound and complex sentences with examples.
- How do speech and writing differ? Clarify.
- Do you agree that ‘school is the factory that makes useful men out of boys’? Explain it in reference to the story.
- Do you believe that intelligent aliens really exist? Give reasons.
- What is the theme of the poem, ‘ Home they Brought her Warrior Dead’?
- Discuss the one-act play, ‘Chitra’ as a symbol of feminism and true love.
Write long answers to these questions. (3×8=24)
21. What types of conflicts occur in “Of Mice and Men”? Are the conflicts physical, intellectual, or emotional?
22.We need joint efforts to fight against the climate change. Explain (Our House is on Fire)
23. Critically examine the poem ‘Lady Lazarus.’.
– The End –