Class 12 Optional English Model Question 2080
Sub. code 3341
Candidates are requested to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable. Attempt all the questions.
Time: 3 hours Full Marks.: 75
Tick (√) the correct answer from the alternatives given in each question below. (11×1=11)
1. To which one of the following language families does the official Nepali language belong? a. Afro-Asiatic
2. Language change as a result of globalization occurs due to which of the following reasons?
3. Kituba is a widely used lingua franca in Central Africa. It is based on Kikongo, a Bantu language. It is also a national language in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.Which one of the following types of language is it?
4. Who is the author of the story ‘Paul’s Case’?
- Willa Cather
- Sir Arthur Canon Doyle
- M C Vassanji
- Rudolfo Anaya
5. What kind of story is ‘The Three Students’?
- a horror story
- a humorous story
- a detective story
- a satirical story
6. ‘I can resist anything but temptation.’ What is this sentence an example of? a. paradox
7. Which one of the following poems is a ballad?
- Mending Wall
- No Second Troy
- A Woman
- The Three Knights
8. What does the poet imply through the line ‘I grew whiter and whiter’ in the poem ‘Kidnapped’?
- he became a more learned person.
- he got influenced by western education system.
- he was happy to become a European.
- he got assimilated in the western culture.
9. What year was the play ‘All My Sons’ written?
10. Which one of the following literary elements is richly endowed in the play ‘All My Sons’? a. irony
11. Which of the following does linguistic sign comprise?
- sign and signifier
- signifier and signified
- arbitrariness and conventionality
- signified and binary
Give short answers to the following questions in about 75 words each. (8×5=40)
12. What is language death? Give suitable examples of language death.
- Is content knowledge more important than acquisition of skills?Why, why not? Give reasons to support your answer.
- How does Julian show the important theme of hypocrisy in the story ‘Everything That Rises Must Converge’?
- In what way does the story ‘A Deal on Wheat’ reflect influence of naturalism? Explain briefly.
- How does lean production combine the best features of both craft and mass production? Explain.
‘The reality is that we do not know what to think about death: not that of a fly, or of a dog or a pig, or of ourselves.’ Do you agree or disagree with this key idea given by Stephen Cave? Give reasons based on the essay ‘Not Nothing’?
- Summarize the poem ‘If I Should Die.’
- Differentiate textual perspective from contextual perspective.
- According to Sigmund Freud, literary creation emerges from unconscious state of mind. Do you agree or disagree? Justify your opinion.
Evaluate how postmodern perspective addresses the issue of plurality.
20. Write long answer to the following questions in about 150 words each. (3×8=24) 20. Summarize the essay ‘A Black Grandmother’.
- Interpret the following lines of the poem ‘Lord! Make me a Sheep’ in your own words relating the speaker’s feelings to the contemporary materialistic society.
Let me have divine animality, O Providence,
Be kind to me and seize me quickly!
Make me a sheep right now.
Do you believe that abstract reasoning is predominantly the male field of thought? Give reasons in support of your answer.
- Do you think the play ‘All My Sons’ is the play of responsibility, tragedy and guilt? Justify your answer with examples.